Every young kid needs at least one extracurricular activity that they look forward to and enjoy because the academic pursuits and curriculum these days often fail to promote holistic development and target different aspects of their personality. With the help of such extra-curricular activities, children get a chance to pick up other crucial life lessons and skills, like teamwork, cooperation, and other abilities that they need to develop into well-rounded adults.
However, it can be daunting to come up with activities that will keep your kid busy and engaged outside of their academic curriculum, especially when it’s so easy to spend days on end in front of a screen and accomplish very little that is genuinely productive.
There are many activities and classes available both online and offline that can be great for your child that not only alleviate boredom but also foster essential skills in them that they will require throughout life.
Some such fun activities that are great for their personality and growth are:
- Art and craft classes: Enrolling your child in arts and crafts classes can be a very wholesome experience for them, as well as a great way for them to flex their creative muscles. Different types of crafts, such as pottery, are also great skills to hone. It teaches them to appreciate the natural world around them and to pay attention to even the smallest details of everyday events.
- Coding: Coding is a fun activity that is increasingly in demand. As your child gets older, they will continue to reap benefits from being exposed to STEM fields, especially coding. Children as young as 6 years old can learn how to code on a variety of platforms. These might be online or offline, and they have been found to have a great effect on students’ academic performance as well.
- Theatre and Performing Arts: Of all the extracurricular activities available, drama and theatre are by far the most versatile. Performing in front of an audience, public speaking, voice modulation, acting, and other extracurricular activities are all included in theatre. Theatrical performances are typically praised as a fun but educational activity that benefits young children well in terms of their overall development. Children develop cooperation skills and the art of performing in front of an audience while increasing their self-worth and self-confidence.
- Active mindfulness: To enroll in another class that’s enjoyable and has a lot to offer in terms of personal development is meditation and mindful activities. A terrific approach to learning about every facet of your personality at any age is to discover your spiritual self, and the more self-aware you are, the more at the moment you are able to be. The benefits of meditation have a wide range of advantages that go above and beyond the ordinary. It aids in preventing and treating mental health problems that come with adolescence and enables them to tackle challenges with ease whilst being in control of their emotions.
- Book Club: Another enjoyable technique to help your child develop the habit of reading is to enroll them in a book club. Reading helps us grow tremendously as people and helps us decide the kind of person we want to become. Since ancient times, books have been acknowledged as man’s best friend, and rightly so. Reading books of different genres exposes your child to a variety of situations, personalities, and emotions. Being a part of a community that regularly reads and discusses books can be a really enriching activity that your child not only likes but eagerly anticipates. You can count on this one habit that your kids will carry with them throughout their lives.
- Musical instruments: Teaching your children to play any musical instrument is a fantastic activity. Children learn how to express themselves creatively through music. There are numerous offline and online venues where kids can learn how to play musical instruments. It teaches kids important lessons about patience, persistence, and how consistency leads to excellence in any line of work.
- Self-defense and martial arts: Although learning how to defend yourself in the modern world may seem redundant to some, it’s crucial to know how to look after oneself. Teaching your children martial arts and self-defense not only inculcates ways to defend themselves but also instills in them discipline, endurance, and strength of will. It is a terrific way also to make them more physically active if they spend too much time sitting in front of a screen.
- Cooking: Cooking is something that is considered a basic survival skill that everyone should know. Having at least a few basic recipes up your sleeve always comes in handy. Teach your children to master a few goods and simple breakfast recipes. It can be a great asset in times of need whilst making them self-reliant. There are a number of advantages to this, as food preparation fosters attention, and creativity, and teaches kids practical skills like how to use sharp knives. Additionally, it teaches children how to create nutritious meals and various ingredients.
- Creative writing: According to a simple definition, writing creatively is the unrestricted expression of one’s feelings through writing. For example, you could write poems, novels, or journals. Creative writing can be incredibly helpful for kids who occasionally struggle to express their emotions in social circumstances or who have strong introverted tendencies. It has long been recognized as important to give kids a secure setting where they may connect with themselves without worrying about being judged or dismissed.
- Sports: Engaging in sports makes for a great pastime for your child, and it not only teaches them invaluable lessons in life but also boosts their physical growth. Sports teach children the importance of teamwork and coordination, and it also improves their mind-to-muscle coordination, which is overall great for their health and physical well-being. They get the ability to think strategically and make judgments for the team. Sports can make it relatively simple for them to pick up more such skills. Consistent practice and exercise enhance academic performance because they train the brain to concentrate and retain information better.